Where do Donate
- Rechargeable Batteries and CFLs-Lowes and Home Depot
- Grocery Bags-Harris Teeter, Food Lion, Whole Foods, and Lowes
- #5 Plastic Items-Whole Foods
- TVs, Printers, Cell Phones, Ink, Cameras, Video Games-Best Buy
Mecklenburg County – Extra Trash / Bulky Items:
Call 3-1-1 to schedule a BULKY item pickup. Items too large to be placed in a rollout cart can be scheduled for collection. To be eligible for this service, you must currently receive garbage collection from the city. When calling, let them know how much extra you have for pickup.Resources:
- Click here to find Full Service Recycling centers in Mecklenburg County.
- Click here to learn more about battery recycling.
- Clicking here to learn all about the many things that Harris Teeter recycles.
- Click here for solid waste resources in Mecklenburg County.
- Click here to find recycling centers near you.
Mecklenburg County Solid Waste Management
The following items are accepted in the Recycle It! Program:
- Aerosol cans (only if they are empty)
- Aluminum cans
- Glass bottles/jars
- Juice boxes
- Milk and juice cartons
- Plastic-If the neck is smaller than the base
- Tin cans
Reminder: According to state law, plastic numbers 1 & 2 and aluminum should always be recycled and never discarded in the garbage.
- Paper Shredding: Records Reduction
- Disposing of Medicine and Other Health Products
- Battery Recycling
- Resources for recycling: Earth 911 and Call 2 Recycle
- Recycling centers will offer a convenient and free way for customers to recycle rechargeable batteries, cell phones, compact fluorescent lights (CFLs) and plastic shopping bags.
- Freecycle: Nonprofit movement of people who are giving (and getting) stuff for free in their own towns and neighborhoods
- Terracycle: offers a range of free programs that are funded by conscientious companies, as well as recycling solutions available for purchase for almost every form of waste.
- Visit www.wipeoutwaste.com for more recycling information
- Visit Mattress Advisor to see if you can recycle your mattress.