When it comes to decorating for the holidays, less really is more. Keeping it simple not only allows you to enjoy the process, but it frees up more time for all of the other tasks that go with preparing for the remainder of the holiday season.
Here are my favorite tips on how to de-stress your holiday decorating process:
1. Have a plan. For my family it has become a tradition to buy our tree and put up our decorations the weekend after Thanksgiving. Knowing what we are going to do ahead of time keeps me from worrying about when I can fit it in with the rest of the things I need to accomplish the rest of the month.
2. Less is more. Do not worry about decorating every nook and cranny of your home. Too many decorations can create visual clutter in a space. A wreath on the door and a favorite centerpiece on the table are perfect complements to the focal point of a beautifully decorated tree.
3. Group like items together. Whether it be holiday teapots, Santas or snowmen – displaying a collection of similar decorative items together is not only a fun way to show off your favorite holiday collections, but it creates a sense of order to the decorating process.
4. Purge as you go. Incorporating key organizing tips to the decorating process by purging items that you no longer use, or that are broken or worn looking from age, will make the clean up process more efficient.
5. Have appropriate containers. To prepare for putting your items away make sure you have appropriate containers (preferably clear) labeled by room or collection for a quick and easy clean up.
And last but not least…my favorite tip of all:
6. Enjoy the present moment. It is the simple things that truly make the holidays special! During the rush of shopping, wrapping and planning for holiday parties, family gatherings, and travel – take a moment every once in awhile to just be in the moment. Laugh with your children, enjoy the decorations you took the time to put up, and take in the smells of fresh baked cookies as they come out of the oven.
Happy Holidays from Simplicity!